Most water heaters last for around ten years, and in order to get the most out of them, it’s important to perform regular water heater maintenance. In this blog post, we will discuss the different types of water heaters and what you need to do to keep your system running well.
There are five main types of water heaters, and the necessary water heater maintenance will depend on what type you have.
A conventional water heater is the most common and traditional type of water heater. It is a large cylindrical tank that sits on the floor of your utility space and holds water until it is heated.
These water heaters have a specific capacity depending on their size. The amount of hot water available in your home depends directly upon the size of your conventional water heater. Once that hot water runs out, it can take about an hour for the tank to reheat.
– Check the temperature of your water heater and adjust it as necessary. The water should be hot, but not so hot that it scalds you.
– Flush your water heater tank once a year to remove any sediment that has built up. You can do this by attaching a hose to the drain valve at the bottom of the tank and draining it into a bucket until the water runs clear.
Tankless water heaters are just as the name suggests–a water heater with no tank. It is a medium-sized rectangular box hung on a wall in your utility area. These water heaters heat water on demand. This means that you will never run out of hot water because it is being heated as you need it.
A tankless water heater uses extremely hot coils to heat your water instantly. They can run on gas or electricity. They come in different sizes; the size necessary for your home depends on how much water your home uses at once. Simultaneously using more hot water than the tank has capacity for will result in lukewarm water.
– Descale your tankless water heater once a year. Descaling removes mineral deposits from the inside of the unit.
– Check the water pressure going into your tankless water heater. If it is too high, it can damage the unit.
Solar water heaters use solar panels to collect energy from the sun and use that energy to heat water. They have an insulated water tank that is usually placed on your home’s roof.
This type requires more water heater maintenance than other water heaters because the solar panels need to be cleaned regularly.
– Clean your solar water heater’s solar panels at least once a year, but more if you live in an area with a lot of dust or pollen. It is essential to make sure that your solar panels are clean and free of debris so that they can collect as much sunlight as possible.
A heat pump water heater uses electricity to move heat from one place to another. It takes warmth from the air and ground around it and uses that heat to warm water in an insulated tank.
Because these water heaters rely on the air around them to function, they don’t work well in frigid climates.
– Check the manufacturer’s instructions to see how often you need to change the filter on your heat pump water heater. This will usually be every few months.
A condensing water heater is similar to a heat pump water heater in that it uses electricity to move heat. But instead of taking heat from the air around it, this water heater takes heat from water vapor in the exhaust fumes.
– Make sure that there is enough ventilation around your condensing water heater. If it isn’t properly ventilated, it won’t work as well and could be a fire hazard.
When Should You Call a Water Heater Repairman?
While regular water heater maintenance can keep your system in optimal shape for a long time, occasional problems may arise that require professional help. If you notice any of the following, it is time to call a water heater repairman:
- There is water leaking from your water heater
- Your water heater isn’t heating water
- Your water heater is making strange noises
- There is a strange smell coming from your hot water
- Your hot water is discolored
- Your pilot light keeps going out
Don’t wait until your water heater stops working before calling for help! A small problem can become a big, expensive one if it isn’t dealt with right away.